Ask IAQ-Man

Q: please give me a price on a TD-150 Kit

A: Dear Mr. O'Donnell:

Please provide some additional information regarding your price request. We do not have a TD-150 listed on our services schedule. What is that?

Submitted: 12/01/2012

Q: I am selling my home. The appraiser cited possible mold on the exterior of my garage and the garage roof. How do I know if it is mold and if so, how can it be removed?

A: Pat:

By "exterior" of your garage, do you mean on the exterior siding?

As far as the roof, I'm assuming you're talking about the underside of the garage roof? The latter is generally caused by a moisture source (for example: improperly vented bathroom fans), so part of the fix should involve correcting the source of the moisture that's leading to mold growth. If there is a sizable portion of the underside of the roof sheathing affected by mold, you may be better off having a professional handle it. Some fixes involve cleaning by some combination of HEPA vacuuming, sanding, abrasive blasting (dry ice, baking soda, etc.) or cleaning with a hydrogen peroxide solution to remove the mold growth. Sanitizers are also used after cleaning--quat ammonia products can be beneficial. Anti-microbial coatings are often then applied to provide a long term barrier against mold regrowth (we typically use the Fiberlock Technologies line of products).

Submitted: 04/12/2012

Q: I have had a strange ashy, old chimney smell for several months. I had the chimney cleaned but the smell still persist. It started close to the time I had a new furnace installed. I had the installer check it and he said it could not be the furnace. What next?

A: Betty:

It actually COULD be the furnace! Does your new furnace use the existing chimney to vent or is it a high efficiency model that is vented outside via a PVC pipe? If its the first, there might be an excessive amount of moisture being introduced into the overall chimney structure (I'm assuming that both flues are located in the same chimney, in this case). Another possibility is that either the smoke shelf (located up behind the damper in your fireplace) or the ash pit (located in the chimney structure under the fireplace) got excessively wet from all the rain we received earlier this year, causing that ash smell. Do you have a cap on the chimney? If not, that might help reduce water from entering and creating a smell. Another possibility--For some reason, your house might be under negative pressure, causing air to be coming down your fireplace chimney into your living space, which would also give you a "bad" chimney odor. This could possibly be related to the pressure being created by your furnace when it operates. Give us a call if these don't resolve your issue. Thanks for the question!

Submitted: 06/27/2011

Q: I have a new condo. I do not believe that the duct work is clean. It is approx two years old.I would like to explore the cleaning process with IAG

A: Hello Mr. Smiley,
The EPA has a great publication that addresses air duct cleaning...should they be cleaned or not. I think this may help to answer your questions.

http://www.epa.gov/iaq/pubs/airduct.html

Thank you.
IAQ Man

Submitted: 03/29/2011